Friday, July 6, 2012

Thursday July 5, 2012

Last night Chuck and I watched a program on surviving 2012.  I am not for sure how I am suppose to react to the show.  I don't know whether to laugh and say what idiots those people were or cry for them for being so stupid.  I think what I walked a way with was a sense of some people being predators and willing to pray upon those that they can instill fear in.  One man even made the remark that he had missed out on the money making possibilities of Y2K and he wasn't going to miss out this time.  It is beyond me how people can fall prey to such folly.  One woman said it was a cover up conspiracy by the government to prevent widespread panic and another made the classic remark about the Mayan calendar ending on 12/21/12...I wonder if she hasn't read that the calendar is a perpetual calendar and keeps repeating like it has for thousands of years.  I feel for those poor folks that have been duped and wonder how they will feel when it comes and goes without anything happening....now you say how will I feel if something does happen....well according to the nay sayers I won't be around to give a hoot anyway!

WARNING Picture INTENSIVE!!

On to more fun things...We had a great time in Malta MT over the 4th of July.  We walked to breakfast at the GN (Great Northern) Hotels Coffee Bar and walked around town taking a few pictures I would like to share with you.  Chuck and I got a weeks worth of laundry done and bought a few things at the local Albertson's before retiring back to our room to play around...dirty minds...
 on the computers before the fireworks.  Talk about fireworks.  I was really impressed at the variety and how long they went on. We watched the sky for almost an hour before giving it up and going back inside.  Small town American takes its Independence seriously folks.
Chuck in front of the GN.
cute apartments on the main street


A look down the main drag

The defunct Palace Movie Theater 
A flower pot with a stalk of corn.

The garage fixing our car

The new Villa Movie theater that is open at 7pm on Thurs, Fridays, and Saturday.

A little white church

Our Motel marquee

We got the car out of the shop around noon and was surprised at the difference in the way it sounded and handled.  Now folks they only put a water pump on it but they must have tightened up some loose bolts or something cause the squeaks and rattles were definitely less.  
After loading everything back in the car we headed east out of Malta MT towards the Dakotas in hopes of picking up a severe storm later in the day.  Just out of Malta there was a sign on the side of the road that read, "Incident Ahead"  Hmmmm....wonder what kind?  Here's what we saw about 1/4 mile down the road...
Part of a train had derailed and was lying along side the track.  From what we saw no one had been hurt and they were in the process of getting it straightened out.  




I guess by now you are bored stiff and wondering if we found a storm or not...YES!  It was a pitiful little storm by the time we intercepted it but we did get to it before dark.  Here are a couple unremarkable pictures but at least we got to see a storm today.

Doesn't this look like a movie western set?

pretty clouds

a rain shaft

a rain shaft and scud (trash clouds)

Well thats it for today and tomorrow unless some fantastic miracle occurs and the weather progs change we will be heading west to the Yellowstone National Park for a look around.  It is on the bucket list of places we want to go and with no weather to be had it seems like a good place to go.  Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love that funky colorful motel sign. I see a card in that for sure. Glad you are back on the road I am enjoying the trip. Hmm 2012 its sad isn't it some people just get sucked in so easily about things. Some people are just so convincing and others are just easily led. Have a safe trip looking forward to Yellowstone pictures. Say hi to Yogi and Booboo for me. Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to laugh at your comment about the fireworks lasting for so long, but in a town that size, I don't think they have much else to look forward to and I am sure the entire town plus the ones on the outskirts for miles came to watch it too! See you in Yellowstone Park, be safe! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! It does sound like you had an enjoyable time in Malta! Loved the pics....feel like I'm traveling right along with you! So glad you got so storm action even if it was small. Hopefully soon you'll happen on a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos, Vickie! Awful to see a train derailed like that... and those cloud formations are fantastic - never seen anything like that before!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

I would really love to hear what you think about my art and my posts. Please leave me a comment and let me know! Thanks for visiting my blog. Vickie aka Okienurse